“I don't sing because I'm happy....... I'm happy because I sing!”
At Orchard we have an Infant and a Junior Choir. We encourage the children who join to make a commitment to the group, try their best and have fun!
We try to instill the joy of music and singing into them, starting at Reception class.
Singing as part of a Choir, is a powerful, uplifting experience.
The benefits to the child, physically, emotionally and socially is huge!
They learn to listen, concentrate, cooperate and commit to rehearsals.
During the year the Choirs take part in a number of exciting activities. This gives them the opportunity to perform as the Orchard Choir, and to experience performing with other children.... with other Bexley Choirs and Choirs from around the country. This enhances self esteem, motivation and pride, in themselves and their Choir.
Over the year the Choirs perform :
- in assemblies
- at local Churches and Care Homes
- at Carols by Candlelight Evening
- the Junior Choir sings in the Young Voices Choir at the 02 Arena
- the Junior Choir participates in the Bird College Festival of Music , at the Royal Festival Hall
- the Infant Choir take part in our Summer Concert and Tea Party
- the Junior Choir performs at Summer Celebration Evening
The Choirs are also involved in fundraising activities. We raise money for Demelza House and the 'Back to School Project' (linked to VSO Nigeria)
We are very proud of our Orchard Parent Choir, which is a small group of parents who give of their time and enthusiasm . They sing with us at Christmas and perform at our Summer Celebration Evening.
The ethos of our Choir can be summed up in this way:
Aspire to achieve Believe in yourself Care for each other